CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Skincare Consultation

I have helped probably thousands of people pick out skincare products over the years.
For part of that time I was working in smaller stores that sold only their own brand and after that I was with a natural pharmacy and a natural grocer who both sold lots of natural skincare lines ranging from very inexpensive to top of the line.
At both of those jobs I was an esthetician which almost made it harder in some cases. I would ask questions and get a lot of "well....you're the professional, what do YOU think?" Or I would get customers that would misunderstand why I was asking certain questions and get defensive. Here is what I normally would ask. In parenthesis is what information I was really after.

1. What are you currently using? (what is your price range?)
I'm not judging you. I don't care if you are using Clean & Clear or La Mer, you don't need to tell me every single product you use, I just need a ballpark range. I don't want to show you the $50 eye cream if you only want to spend $7.

2. Do you prefer a foaming or creamy cleanser? (what kind of skin do you think you have?)
Someone who is normal/oily will usually want to use a foaming cleanser while a normal/dry or mature client will want creamy. I don't usually say 'what is your skin TYPE' because no one is in one set category their entire life. I will also never say 'I can see you have mature skin' or 'I can see you have acne.' I know that everyone is very sensitive about their appearance and I would never want to be insulting.

3. Going back to #1 this also tells me if this is a person who wants every serum and eye cream out there or just wants a very basic regimen. This also will tell me if they are on harsh prescription topical products. If so, I would never suggest something too "active." (glycolics, enzymes, etc.)

4. Do you use sunscreen? (please tell me you use sunscreen)
This is basically a chance to educate customers on the damaging effects of the sun. A lot of people will say they aren't 'in the sun' often. Most sun damage I see here in Texas is on the left side of the face, where the skin is exposed while driving.

5. Are you taking supplements? (a good multi-vitamin, fish oil, probiotics and antioxidants are great for the skin and if someone has a particular problem that is not going away, treating internally can really help.

6. Are you under a lot of stress? (do you manage your stress well?) Most people have stress in their lives, it's just how modern life is. If someone tells me they are really having problems with their skin, and also they have a really stressful job and don't exercise, eat right or otherwise manage it, then that tells me that maybe they need a yoga class, not a new moisturizer.

I am always amazed at what most people use on their skin. 'oh, just bar soap.' 'ummmm....I don't remember, just something from the drugstore' or the worst: ANYONE over fourteen using Clean & Clear or Biore pore strips. (don't get me started...that's a whole other blog)
Everyone knows their skin better than I do, especially under fluorescent lights and a coat of foundation. I've had customers get mad at me because I can't tell them what their skin is like. I would need to take off their makeup, touch their face, ask lots of questions and look at their skin under a magnifying lamp in order to have even the first clue. I'm an esthetician, not a clairvoyant. If I could ask one thing of my customers it would be to take back their power, get to know their skin and it's habits and to be open to making lifestyle changes. Not everything can be fixed by a cream in a pretty jar.
Oh! And don't fully trust people on commission or with no formal skincare training. They don't always have your best interest at heart.







0 comments: