CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Target Goes Natural





I first noticed a few natural products at Target a couple of years ago. I was horrified at first to see them there but now I kind of like the idea.

If more natural companies are selling their products in stores like Target and Wal-Mart then it will bring the concept of using less toxic ingredients to the masses and make it seem less "weird."

The companies currently represented in my local Target are Burt's Bees, Giovanni (one of my favorites for hair care!) Weleda (love love love Skin Food) Alba/Avalon (same company) Jason, Kiss My Face, and Burt's Bees.

Most of these brands are what I have always considered "gateway natural products" meaning, the products are only so-so in quality but they are a good way to get people to begin to use natural products before moving on to higher quality brands with better ingredients and eco-friendly practices.

I have mixed feelings about Burt's Bees as a company now.

I have never been a huge user of BB products, but I do love their Pomegranate lip balm and their kids' shampoo.

But since they have been bought by Clorox I am extremely hesitant in supporting them in even a small way.

I have seen Clorox on many lists of companies that use animal-testing and while I don't necessarily think that they are doing animal testing on the Burt's product ingredients (the previous owners of the company didn't test on animals and the raw ingredient suppliers are already in place so they probably aren't using ingredients tested on animals for the Burt's products) but all of the money funnels back into Clorox, the parent company.

I have noticed that they have come out with a "green" cleaning line, a very obvious and obnoxious case of "greenwashing" if I've ever seen one.

I know Target was experimenting with bringing in organic clothing and I've seen more fibers like bamboo in the linen department. In my local store, though, the organic t-shirts were only there for a short time before being discontinued, which makes me think they didn't do very well.

But if the blown-out shelves are any indication, there is quite a market for more natural products at Target.

For me, this is great since if I need a product in a pinch I won't have to resort to a conventional brand that I would otherwise never use.

What do you think?

*Note: I was using the 'you can be girly and green' sidebar before I saw this bag at Target, but the pink and green idea has been the concept I have used since I first started Skin Rhythm. All along I have been interested in promoting the idea that you can be glamorous and ecologically responsible. Plus, pink and green are my favorite colors. ;)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad Target is carrying MORE natural products, too, and I do agree with you that they are gateway natural products. Some of these products & lines still have bad chemicals in them, but are called natural. I have been a lot more careful lately in reading the labels on everything I buy. I try to stick with ALL natural companies, and I have a small list of them on my MUA wishlist, which helps as a reference. Thanks for all your posts!