CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Holy Grail Part 1

On MakeupAlley my fellow beauty junkies often talk about their HG products, or Holy Grail products, the ones that they can not live without and have no idea how they ever functioned without them.
I have my own HG products, the ones that I am so satisfied with that there is no need to ever shop for another product in that category.
Unfortunately, I also stray periodically because I am bored or I hear about a new product, but with an HG I know I will always return to it no matter how far I stray temporarily.
In no particular order, here are a few:

Deodorant: Dr. Hauschka floral, hands down. I refuse to use aluminum based anti-perspirants but I live in a very sweaty climate (during the summer) DH is the only one that has come through for me consistently.
Runner up: Crystal Body Deodorant, roll-on. I actually discovered this when I was in Amherst for my DH training. I had been trying to be frugal and had not bought a new DH floral deodorant when I ran out, instead replacing it with another natural roll on. It failed me miserably and I did not want to start my training feeling paranoid about my body odor. I went to the local Rite-Aid and decided to try the CBD roll-on and really liked it. It crumbles under pressure at times but has a lovely subtle scent and is much more effective than other natural deodorants I have used....and I've tried quite a few.

Mascara: Blinc Kiss Me Mascara,Black
I discovered this when I was living in Berkeley and have been using it ever since. It does not smudge or flake or run. Seriously. It also gives great definition. This is the only mascara that I can use on my lower lashes. When you remove it it comes off in little clumps instead of a crazy black river.
My only complaint is that it leaves the lashes feeling a bit rubbery/stiff which never bothered me until I had kids and became lower maintenance. Now sometimes when I wear it I can't wait to take it off. But I still love it.
Runner Up: Dr. Hauschka Intermezzo, Royal Blue
After discovering Blinc I thought I would never have the need for another mascara. One day, though I used a mascara that my friend and DH account manager gave me and loved it. It's great for days when I'm not wearing much makeup, it gives very subtle definition and the blue makes my eyes look whiter and brighter. The wax base leaves the lashes still pliable and soft and it does not make a mess when washed off.

Shower Gel: Enfusia Vanilla Cleansing Elixir
I am a vanilla addict and this is such a yummy product. It is locally made, organic and produces abundant creamy suds. I also use it to shave with. Love love love.
Runner Up: John Masters Blood Orange and Vanilla Body Wash
This comes in a handy pump and smells divine.

Shampoo: Giovanni Golden Wheat Shampoo
I always come back to this shampoo. It has great ingredients and increases volume. Could be a bit better at detangling, though.
Runner Up: Dr. Hauschka Macadamia and Orange
I used to strongly dislike the DH shampoos. They are low-foam (almost no-foam) and that bugged me. I was used to massaging my scalp with a million bubbles. I gave it a shot, though and really loved how great my hair felt. I get tangles easily and this is one of the only shampoos that helps keep my hair from being a snarly wreck. Here is an easy way to use it correctly:
Instead of adding more shampoo until it feels sufficiently foamy put only how much you need for the length of your hair: quarter for long, nickel for medium, dime for short. Massage in, resisting the urge to add more. Tell yourself that although it feels like there is no way this is getting your hair clean that it is in fact getting it clean and doing a great job of nourishing it too, instead of stripping it with all those harsh foaming agents. Rinse. Do not repeat.

Lipstick: Tie- These colors are all very similar and I can use them interchangeably. They all have great staying power and are the perfect color for brunettes.
Glominerals Snapdragon
Very creamy and smooth satin finish
Dr. Hauscha #11 Effetuoso
Also very creamy but slightly more matte
Peacekeeper Paint Me Empowered
Really super saturated color

0 comments: