CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 4, 2008

Sunscreen Application & Protection: 10 Tips!


















It is probably no surprise that I do not use chemical sunscreen products. I don't want some of their more toxic ingredients making their way into my body, my children's bodies or the bodies of any unfortunate fish or other wildlife that may be swimming along with us.

That being said, I think that the way mineral sunscreen is applied can decrease the level of protection it can provide. I wanted to give a few sunscreen tips now that we are officially into the hot and sunny summer months to help you maximize the effectiveness of your chosen (mineral!) sunscreen!

1. The two mineral sunscreen ingredients are zinc and titanium dioxide. In my two favorite sunscreens, Juice Beauty SPF 30 mineral light moisturizer and Dr. Hauschka SPF 30 for Children and Sensitive Skin, the only sunscreen ingredient is titanium dioxide. It's easy to tell what the sunscreen ingredient is in any product by looking on the ingredient list under "active ingredients."

2. When using a moisturizer with sunscreen it is best to apply two thin layers: a moisturizing layer that will penetrate the skin and a protective layer that will sit on top of the skin's surface and physically filter out the sun's harmful rays.

3. When applying, it is best to "warm" the first layer in your palm and gently press into the skin including the neck and upper chest. The second sunscreen layer is best applied to the top of your non-dominant hand and dotted on your face, neck and chest. After letting it rest a minute, it will easily blend over the moisturized surface of your skin. Rubbing vigorously to blend or apply will break up the minerals. They should be as large as possible so they protect more fully.

4. You do not have to wait fifteen minutes before going out into the sun with mineral sunscreen. They will protect immediately.

5. The use of sunscreen does not fully block out all of the sun's rays. UVA and UVB rays are only two of the many kinds of UV rays there are. Even products labeled "broad spectrum" can't block them all, they only filter out UVA and UVB, which are the rays associated with burning and aging/skin cancer.

6. The SPF factor indicates how much of the active ingredient is present in the product. The number will be a guide as to how long you are protected. It takes me about ten minutes of unprotected sun exposure to begin to burn so ten times (spf) 30 is 300 minutes or five hours of total sun protection. After that I should cover up or move to the shade. Reapplying after five hours will not give me five more hours of protection. After that, burning will occur because the skin has already absorbed the maximum amount of UV rays it can tolerate.

7. Most sun damage occurs from incidental exposure: driving, walking from your house to your car or workplace, etc. Even if you won't be out in the sun all day or even if it's cloudy, sunscreen should still be applied daily to exposed areas. Remember the tops of your hands and feet and ear/earlobes too! (trust me, I have had a serious burn on my ear and it is not pretty!) Use a lot of product, do not skimp! Have someone help you with hard to reach areas.

8. Sun damage is especially present on the left side of the face along the temple area due to exposure while driving. I always apply an extra layer of mineral makeup on top of my mineral sunscreen along that area.

9. Mineral sunscreen should be reapplied if it has been washed off while swimming or perspiring or has been rubbed off with hands or a towel. It will then protect you for the remainder of minutes you have since you first applied sunscreen.

10. Clothing such as a wide-brimmed hat or loose-fitting button long sleeve shirt are very effective along with SPF to help protect from the sun. When I was younger I would have rather died than wear a long sleeve shirt during the summer but now I do so religiously. I was surprised to find that it feels much nicer against my hot summer skin than the scorching rays of the sun. It also absorbs excess perspiration and keeps me dry and fresh even on the hottest of days.

0 comments: