CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

Whole Foods Video Series: Ingredients to Look For Part 1, John Masters




















photo taken from www.johnmasters.com (uh...john? you know it's not really legal to have dogs in salons, right?)

The latest video podcast over at Whole Story the Whole Foods Market blog features a tour of John Masters' Manhattan salon, one of the first natural salons in the country.

I love the John Masters products, especially the elegant rose foaming face wash and the zinc sage shampoo which has a faint coconut aroma that is absolutely yummy.

This is the best video podcast so far, in my opinion. John is very, very knowledgeable about holistic haircare and ingredients. It was great to put a face to the name.

I'm really excited because he mentioned that seaweeds such as chondrus crispus are great ingredients that mimic silicone. I am a holistic junkie, however it's been hard for me to break my silicone habit. Dimethicone and cyclomethicone are ingredients that make the skin (it's great in foot cream) and hair feel slick and shiny. The problem, though is that it does nothing to actually nourish the body and starts to build up on the hair and scalp resulting in dullness and scalp issues. And since it has occlusive properties it can trap perspiration and bacteria leading to deep cystic acneic breakouts.

I am happy to have alternatives to my (admittedly unhealthy) silicone habit and excited to have watched this great video.

Check it out!

1 comments:

Lindsay B. said...

Hey Jen! Ha ha about us both posting on the John Masters videos--yes, we must have great minds. I thought those videos were so interesting!

I just bookmarked Skin Rhythm on my computer here at the new job (which I'm not allowed to mention as a blogger....)