CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dead Elephant: Elephant Pharmacy Closes After Six Years



In 2002 I decided to rent a space and open a skincare studio. I was in no way ready to do so, but I took the plunge anyway. Painted Ladies Skincare was open for about six months and I learned a lot about failure and humility from that experience.

I needed a new job and wanted to take a break from practicing esthetics on a spa level for a bit. I found an ad on Craigslist for an esthetician needed for an integrated pharmacy. I had no clue what this meant but I applied anyway.

I had a phone interview and they asked if I had any natural skincare experience. I was Aveda-certified and so I said yes, thinking that I did, in fact have tons of experience. But, I had never heard of any of the brands the interviewer threw at me: Lavera, Logona, Dr. Hauschka, MyChelle...um, what?!

I had a great face-to-face interview a while later and was convinced that I had the job in the bag. I was stunned when I received a letter telling me thanks...but no thanks. I saw a week later that the job was still posted online so I sat down and wrote a letter telling them that they had made a HUGE mistake in not hiring me. It was soul-crushing but--it worked. I was hired and started training immediately.



I love working for start-ups, everything is new and exciting and wide open for opportunity. The building on North Shattuck was completely empty when I started and I worked many hours helping set up shelves, stock products and sweep up dirt.

I quickly became passionate about this new (to me) approach to heath and skincare and gave many interviews to various newspapers and radio stations. It was so much fun connecting with various professionals under one roof. I learned about Chinese medicine and Ayurveda and diabetes management. There was an Eastern pharmacy and conventional Western Pharmacy so I also learned about complementery treatments.

When I got married I had my bridal bouquet made at Elephant. I loved the culture and my co-workers and spent many hours talking to the very interesting founder, Stuart Skorman.

I worked at Elephant for two years and wore many hats: esthetician, skincare educator (I taught classes every week) bodycare manager, buyer, trainer. When I left I had earned a really good amount of stock options that I hoped would pay off at some point.

*From www.sfstation.com
Elephant Pharmacy, one of the East Bay's fixtures in alternative retail, is a supplier of everything from pragmatic Walgreens-type products to alternative health, beauty, and lifestyle commodities from around the world. Elephant Pharmacy offers over 100 free events and classes per month that are led by local practitioners. Every Sunday in May, licensed aesthetician Jennifer Tanner offers a free seminar in making spa products: teaching participants how to craft their own moisturizers, lip balms, and more. Moreover, complimentary makeup consultations and applications happen every Sunday from 12-6 pm.

I was sad to leave and thrilled when I was asked to help write their skincare training manual from my new home in Texas. I also spent the first summer I moved here consulting for Elephant and traveling first to Iowa then to Alabama to set up mini-Elephant stores inside Saks-owned department stores.

The original plan had been to expand rather quickly, but after six years there were only four Elephant locations. I read from time to time that they were in trouble financially and I always hoped they would work it out. I was saddened but not surprised to hear from a friend that they had finally folded due to the current economic downturn.

I have so many fond memories of my time at Elephant Pharmacy and I learned so much. I sometimes regret going out on my own and opening Painted Ladies so soon but if I hadn't have failed at that venture than I would not have gotten a job at Elephant and became a holistic esthetician.

Berkeley, California holds so many happy memories for me and a lot of them include Elephant Pharmacy. I rode my bike there every day in the sun and the fog and the drizzly rain. I sold makeup and skincare and met so many wonderful people and was exposed to many ideas that have shaped who I am today.

I wish they could have made it and I hope that one day they will be able to re-open. The thought of visiting Berkeley without going into Elephant Pharmacy is really sad to me.

0 comments: