CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Effects of Corporate Greed on the Beauty Industry


I've never really "gotten" MAC. As someone in the beauty industry and more specifically as a makeup artist I've always been aware that I was supposed to see them as the Holy Grail of cosmetics. Yet I never really have.
I'm not saying I've NEVER purchased a MAC product. There have been a lipglass or shadow here and there and the occasional nailpolish purchase. But I have never been interested in stocking my professional kit solid with MAC products, regardless of the "fact" that they are supposed to be for makeup artists.
After Estee Lauder acquired the company the quality and packaging went straight downhill. The difference, for me as a casual user was subtle. But for artists who were diehard fans, it was a powerful change--and a slap in the face. After freelance makeup artists began to look elsewhere for professional supplies the corporate machine kicked into high gear and began to manufacture their own "brand artists" to keep the buzz alive and make it seem as if everyone who was anyone still wanted to use the line.
I've seen this happen many times, as a fan of natural products. The holistic buzz is so loud, of course it has attracted corporate attention. So goods that were once created out of love for a pure, botanical product are now produced for profit first, quality second. And the yummy botanical ingredients gave way to cheaper synthetics and lower-quality essential oils.
The best thing we, as consumers can do to stop this is to simply stop purchasing these products. If a beloved company was sold to a corporate giant and the quality has suffered, refuse to buy them. That will send a message that this is not ok.
For me, natural cosmetics just jive better with my personal ideals. And natural products can now aggressively compete with conventional, even professionally. Products that were once 'weird and hippie-ish' are now smooth, beautiful and come in a wide range of colors. Packaging that was once offbeat and homespun is now slick and attractive.
A few of my favorite brands include: Jane Iredale, Glominerals/Mineral Fusion, and Dr. Hauschka.

0 comments: