CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stress and the Skin

Alkanphel Stressed Pictures, Images and Photos

Stress is a part of modern life. Many of us have way more stress than we can ever manage effectively with our busy and hectic schedules especially when you throw in inconsistent exercise and poor eating habits.

Ironically, most women I encounter (myself included) choose high-stress times to try new skincare products with mixed results. When you are feeling overwhelmed and it is showing up on your complexion it is tempting to race to the nearest store and find that magic potion that will make it all go away. Shopping can be soothing and the excitement and hope a new product can bring can really distract you from your problems.

The problem with trying new products during times of high stress (both emotionally and physically) is that your body and skin can react to them in ways that they normally would not-- causing you to discontinue using a brand or product that may work quite well for you.

What can you do? Strive to live in balance--view topical skincare as only one small part in an overall self-care package. Navigate stressful times by exercising more, relaxing more, making sure to participate in activities that make you feel calm and happy, drink more water and simplify your skincare routine.

Use a gentle cleanser and step up your exfoliation with a product containing mild enzymes. If you do try new products add one at a time to your regimen and buy a starter kit with trial sizes (about a month's supply is ideal) whenever possible. It's hard to tell if something is right from you after only using it once or twice.

Once when I was pregnant I tried a new deodorant and it gave me the worst rash. Itchy, bumpy and really ugly. I put the product aside and forgot about it. After I gave birth and my body had begun to get back to normal I found the deodorant in my cabinet and decided to give it another shot. I did and it was fine. I have never had another problem with it in the three years since.

Another time I was going through some high-stress times and not taking very good care of myself. I decided to try a pillow pack sample of a moisturizer I had received at Whole Foods. Soon after I applied it I felt that familiar itchy tingle along my jawline and all over my lower face--even on my hands. I decided that this brand was not for me. Luckily I changed my mind a few months later and gave it another shot: it is now one of my favorite brands and I have not had another problem with it. In fact, this same line has cleared up a lot of my skin care issues.

The point is: good skin comes from many factors only one of which is your topical skin care. Managing stress and diet are also key factors in maintaining a bright and healthy complexion.

And if you are out of whack and craving satisfaction...rush to your favorite personal care store and buy a lipstick!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! A stressful period recently lead me to buy Evan Healy's Blue Chamomile Day Moisturizer. It's ultra pure and gentle and really calms my skin.