CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hot Weather Survival Tips

























Here in Texas we are careening towards summer at a breakneck pace. We normally have a two to four week period between seasons where it is in the 80's and gorgeous. We skipped right over that and have been in the 90's now for weeks.

That means that my skincare normal skincare routine flew straight out the window. Luckily I have some emergency products in my arsenal that have kept my skin from freaking out too badly in response.

Here are a few tips and my current faves.

Modifying My Regimen:

During the cooler months I love the full-on Hauschka ritual complete with twice-daily warm compresses. This time of year I cringe at the thought of having anything warm come near me (aside from my morning tea. )

Luckily, the Dr. Hauschka lemon bath is there to step in where my Spruce and Lavender baths left off. A cool lemon compress after a day outdoors is absolutely dreamy. Simply dip a Dr. Hauschka biodynamic cotton compress or a cotton wash cloth or diaper in a basin filled with cool water, squeeze out the excess and press onto clean skin. The point of the warm compress is to soften dead skin cells and relax pores, but if you are in warm and/or humid weather that will do the trick instead.

It feels even better if you refrigerate your Cleansing Milk and Facial Toner and cleanse as usual beforehand. The antiseptic properties of lemon also help keep breakout-causing bacteria in check.

Any mask you may use, especially a gel or cream-based mask feels great when refrigerated, especially if you have a sunburn (just spot-test first to make sure there are no acidic ingredients that may irritate sun-sensitized skin)

Toner is the usual refrigerated skincare product, and you can also make your own skin refresher using distilled water and essential oils in a non-plastic bottle. Aluminum chills nicely, so I have a few on hand to make my own aromatherapy face and body splash. (lavender -peppermint is a favorite combination of mine)

Accepting Nature:

2. I have oily skin (I am just now admitting that to myself! Hi! I'm Jennifer and I have OILY SKIN!!) and love the beautiful semi-mostly-matte finish that my Glominerals pressed powder foundation usually provides. However, during this time of year I embrace the sweaty dewy look instead. It is much less of a hassle and looks much more beautiful and natural in the bright sunlight. Powder touch-ups + sweaty skin = cakey mess.

The best way to do this is to use a tinted moisturizer. If you need more coverage than this provides, you can additionally use a thick, creamy concealer on any blemishes, hyperpigmentation or redness you may want to tone down. (apply after you apply your tinted moisturizer) I also love this sheer foundation which is one step up from tinted moisturizer and doesn't feel heavy at all.

It's important that it is thick and slightly sticky to provide staying power in the hot sun and I like to apply with a brush. The fingers will melt the concealer slightly due to body heat and therefore it will be a bit thinner and not stand up well to sun exposure.

Start at the center of the area needing to be covered and concentrate the product there, blending outward in short, feathery strokes. Blend the edges until they disappear into the surrounding skin and leave the middle well-covered. You can finish with a tiny bit of translucent powder applied with a small brush. The idea is to not apply powder all over the face, so you would just use it to set the concealer. I only do this on major breakouts that I want to minimize and leave the redness around my nose, etc. to fend for itself.

If you are using a tinted moisturizer with SPF you will need to do one of two things. Either apply a thin layer of a non-SPF moisturizer underneath or apply two thin layers of tinted moisturizer with SPF. The reason for this is that a moisturizer needs to be able to penetrate the skin while the SPF needs to sit on top of the skin to protect from the sun. If your skin is dry it will absorb the moisturizer leaving your skin less protected from UV rays. I love using the Juice Beauty oil-free moisturizer underneath either the Juice Beauty Light Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30 or the Dr. Hauschka SPF 30 for Children and Sensitive Skin mixed with a) Translucent Bronze Concentrate on good skin days or b) Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer on not-so-good skin days.

Controlling Excess Oil

I have the unfortunate problem of a combination of active sebaceous glands along with a dry, dehydrated epidermis that refuses to slough itself off properly. This has led me in the past to believe that I had dry skin. I actually have oil-rich, water-dry skin.

If you're still following me, this means that I should drink LOTS of water, especially in hot weather, take an EFA supplement daily and exfoliate regularly. A manual exfoliant doesn't really provide a uniform finish on my skin so I need to use a mild chemical exfoliant instead.

I am IN LOVE with the Nude Skincare Miracle Mask. I have tried EVERYTHING to help combat the milia that form inside my skin when I do not exfoliate often enough. The very first time I used this mask I got such incredible results. If I use it weekly my skin is much brighter and smoother. It was due to this mask that I could actually experience the oil level of my skin. It turns out I was quite oily underneath that layer of sandpaper skin!

Which leads me to my next "miracle" product, the Dr. Hauschka Normalizing Day Oil. If I use a few drops of this after toning my oil level is regulated within a day or two. Once it is balanced I can switch back to a light moisturizer underneath my sunscreen.

Finishing Touches:

I love makeup so much, but this time of year it is easy to overdo it when applying the same amount you would use during the winter. The sun is bright and will unattractively highlight a heavy-handed makeup application.

Once your (very few!) flaws are concealed and your skin is protected from the sun all you need is a touch of color. That is where you Sun Goddesses would sweep on a bit of bronzer. I am fair-skinned and turn as pink as a little piglet in the sun so bronzer just makes me look dirty and unnatural.

Instead I use a bit of bright pink cream blush on the apples only, well-blended and a touch of highlighter along the cheekbones and slightly up the temple and on the inner corners of the eyes.
Shimmery nude or matte taupe eyeshadow, a smudge of brown liner and a coat of mascara finishes the breezy, summery look I'm after.

The Dr. Hauschka Blue Mascara is one of my favorites. It really makes my brown eyes stand out. This is not Diorshow, however so if applied heavily it WILL smudge and run. Applied with a light touch, though it stays on great all day.

If I want more dramatic lashes during steamy weather, I need one of the "Japanese tubing technology" mascaras. These surround each lash with a plastic-polymer formula and stay on until you apply both water and pressure. This means it will stay on if you go swimming UNLESS you also rub your eyes afterwards.

This one has always been my favorite brand, I've used it for about five years. The Kevyn Aucoin mascara is almost identical. It's important to point out that this is not a natural product. However, I do use it for it's superb performance during the allergy season and throughout hot, humid weather.

I hope this helps you beat the heat beautifully!

Remember: stay protected and stay hydrated!

0 comments: