CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Lipbalm--Maiden Voyage














































Yesterday I made my first batch of lip balm. I tried out the recipe I had recently created using elements I liked from all my favorites. (and believe me there have been MANY I have tried, loved and hated)

I didn't add color or pour into tubes, I just wanted to get a feel for the texture and try out fragrances.

I was pretty excited about it, it turned out nice and hard (important if it will be in a tube in someones hot pocket or purse all summer) yet creamy. I wasn't 100% sure about the texture, though, I was afraid it was a bit too waxy. (although I like a balm with some staying power, like you could take a shower and still have some on your lips when you get out) I decided to try again today, perhaps keeping the original formulation for use as a cuticle cream.

Today I modified the recipe adding less beeswax, more shea butter and more agave nectar and tinted it a soft rosy pink.

I was afraid to get too excited about it, but I had a tube in my pocket that I applied as the day wore on and I have to say I'm pretty pleased. It is creamy, stays on well and gives just a touch of color.

I love the agave nectar, it does make it slightly sweet without being sticky. I am using a lot of floral essential oils and really, they don't taste great.

Here are the final picks:

1. Serene: vanilla/agave/lavender--clear

2. Gorgeous: rose/agave--touch of red

3. Amazing: geranium/agave--touch of pink

4 . Lovely: orange blossom/agave--touch of nude

Thanks so much to all who offered feedback.

These will all be for sale in my Etsy shop as soon as I build up some inventory. I'll keep you posted on when I'll be open for business. In the meantime, if you are dying to buy one send me an email (jen@skinrhythm.com) and I'll make you a custom tube. I just have to design the labels and I'm all set.

Holistic Kisses,
Jen

0 comments: