CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Miracle Ingredient: Manuka Oil


Like a lot of products I now use regularly I first discovered manuka oil when I was working at Elephant Pharmacy. I was able to bring in new products and had been sent a sample of an essential oil I had never heard of: manuka oil from New Zealand.

The literature claimed that it was far more effective at battling acne, body odor and infection than it's well-known cousin, tea tree oil.

I took the sample home and tried it out. My earrings had irritated my ears and I had a nasty infection in one of them that had been raging for over a week. I remembered the manuka oil and applied a few drops. At first sniff it is mild and woody, but later smells a little strange, like feet.

I woke up the next morning wondering what the unrecognizable smell was, then realized my ear was not throbbing and itching like it had been. I looked in the mirror and was amazed to see that the infection was completely gone.

Since then I have used it to treat many, many different first aid issues in my home. It wiped out ring worm on my then-infant son, it has helped fungus on my husbands toenails, it has sped up the healing of monthly breakouts on my chin, the list goes on. Another great thing about manuka oil is that it is far more mild than tea tree oil and never stings the skin, even when applied to blemishes.

It's the best essential oil to have in your first aid kit and a great one to have for summer. It can treat insect bites, sunburn and aching muscles in addition to treating acne, fungus, rashes, scrapes and other abrasions and various other ailments.

I noticed recently that it is an ingredient in the Dr. Hauschka Pure Care Cover Stick (the concealer that replaced the discontinued Cover Stick Puncto) I first suspected it in the product the first time I took the cap off, the smell is very distinct. Here is what the DH website says about it:

"Tea tree and manuka oil in the Dr.Hauschka Pure Care Cover Sticks provide antimicrobial qualities."

I've been experimenting with making my own lip balm, I am also going to make a first-aid salve for my family to use during the summer and manuka oil will be the main ingredient!

0 comments: