CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Lovely: The Second Batch of Lipbalm



Today I made the second "flavor" of lipbalm in my humble line. It is scented with neroli and is tinted a soft, neutral nude color. (those are my "temporary" labels!)

I had to scrap the idea of using bergamot because it is photoactive meaning it could cause the skin to be easily burned in the sun. (ouch!) but luckily neroli does not do that.

The color isn't as apparent on the lips as the pink is in the Amazing balm, but it is much shinier thanks to the addition of castor oil. I may tone it down a bit for Gorgeous (red rose) I'm still playing with the formulations. I like the idea of a bit of shine, especially with the tinted balms but I want it to still have substance and staying power on the lips.

A thinner consistency will also disappear faster in the tube and be less economical. Although most people tend to lose their lipbalm before finishing it completely anyway!

What do you think? Do you prefer a richer lipbalm or a slicker, shinier, glossy balm?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should create creamy and buttery lip balm instead of slick and glossy or rich and waxy. I'm currently using John Masters lip balm, but it kinda sucks because it's too oily and soft.

Jen said...

Thanks, I feel the same way. The JM balm is an olive oil/castor oil base which makes it really greasy and soft.

My first batch was too hard/waxy, the second was too slick (too much castor oil) and I think the third batch that I made today may be the ticket!

More shea butter, less beeswax and a touch of castor oil seems to be the trick!